Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 16:09:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, (Julian Elischer) <julian@whistle.com>
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 03-Mar-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:

> Once Upon A Time, When Power Supplies Were Still Powersupplies there were
> 2 signals available: AC_OK and DC_OK. Whenever your logic (disk) saw
> AC_OK negate, it was time to cleanup. After some time, dependent on how
> big your powersupply capacitors were, how loaded the PS was etc you saw
> DC_OK negate.

Unless it is a DC/DC power supply :-)  Yes, you are right, but the cost of
two extra wires, two gates, a transistor, etc.  is really too much.

> Drive write caches are Evil. Every write cache without good battery
> backup
> is Evil. Talk to a DBMS guy about enabling disk write caches. Put
> sneakers
> on and be prepared to run fast...

Nah, we just smile at you and put your reume in the can...
Actually, there are ways around that.  I promised to make them available on
FreeBSD and I will.  Real Soon Now.  I am waiting for hardware for
testing...

> But then again, with VM systems that have megabytes worth of unflushed
> data the best way to loose your data is to pull the plug from your server
> ;-)

Top said, on last make world that there are 158MB of buffers in use.  This
is 5 times the total disk capacity on the first Unix port I tried to
compile.  Scary.

Terry?  Any thoughts on hot-starting a Unix based PC?  We need to dump
memory quickly, I think.  No way to preserve DRAM across BIOS resets I know
of.  Assuming we have the ability to dump memory quickly (see below), can
we just snap a state, dump it, leave a signature and resume at power up?

We had that on VAXes with VMS (Not AT&T Unix, and I do not think BSD).

Memory SNAP:  If you write it into a DPT controller, and the controller has
enough cache to hold it, it is pretty fast.  I can sustain about 2us per
transaction overhead and about 120MB/Sec.  This gives us about a second or
two.  The new DPT's can retain the cache until power returns.
Even a small UPS (with poer alarms will last long enough.