Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 14:10:10 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Gustavo V G C Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: limiting buffer cache

>Does anybody here knows how to limit the size of my FS buffer cache ?
>I have already looked over LINT config file, but it seems not to have
>any option!
>I have ever send this message to questions, but nobody there seems to
>care/know.
>
>I would really appreciate your help.

   There really isn't a 'buffer cache' in FreeBSD. About 5 years ago FreeBSD
was changed so that buffers weren't used to cache filesystem data - instead
they are used as a mechanism to map cached pages from the VM system into
the kernel address space. All file caching now occurs in the VM system and
is completely dynamic in size, and varies with other activity in the system.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.