Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:02:02 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvs(1) Update and CVS/Entries

I cvsup(1) the FreeBSD CVS repository. I've noticed something that
annoys me slightly, but also makes me worry if I am not doing
something correctly. The CVS/Entries file does not seem to get updated
when I do a 'cvs update.'

First, I have,

  $ cat .cvsrc
  # $Id: .cvsrc,v 1.1 2001/10/08 04:52:43 cjc Exp $
  #
  diff -u
  update -dP

As an example, when I run,

  $ cvs up ports/x11-wm
  cvs update: Updating ports/x11-wm
  ? ports/x11-wm/golem
  ? ports/x11-wm/kdeartwork
  ? ports/x11-wm/mosfet-liquid
  ? ports/x11-wm/phluid
  ? ports/x11-wm/ratmenu
  cvs update: Updating ports/x11-wm/9menu
  cvs update: Updating ports/x11-wm/9menu/files
  cvs update: Updating ports/x11-wm/9wm
  cvs update: Updating ports/x11-wm/9wm/files
  cvs update: Updating ports/x11-wm/aewm
  .
  .
  .
  cvs update: Updating ports/x11-wm/golem
  .
  .
  .
  cvs update: Updating ports/x11-wm/kdeartwork
  .
  .
  .

It claims it does not know about golem, kdeartwork, mosfet-liquid,
phluid, and ratmenu, but they are recursed into and updated. If I run
the same 'cvs up' again, I get the same result. Even though the
modification time of CVS/Entries is changed everytime, those
directories are not added. If I do a fresh 'cvs co' of ports_x11_wm,
those directories are in the CVS/Entries file, so they are not
actually stale directories.

Why isn't the CVS/Entries file updated? Am I not doing something
correctly. I've got a bunch of '?' entries produced everytime I update
the ports tree and it would be nice to know which are problems and
which, like these, are "false alarms."