Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:14:42 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing user from lan. Solved!

On 17/01/2014 19:59, Al Plant wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 16:53:32 -1000, Al Plant wrote:
>>> Aloha,
>>>
>>> Could anyone please send me to a how to on removing an unwanted user
>>> from the lan on FreeBSD 9 and 8.
>>> I tried to remove the adduser file and name and I still cant use the
>>> name that was there before.
>>
>> Deleting the home directory is not sufficient, as the account
>> will still be active in files like /etc/passwd and the user
>> database. So while an interactive login might be inhibited
>> (due to a non-extisting home directory or login shell), other
>> kinds of access, like FTP and maybe even scp, may still be
>> possible. That's why the account has to be deleted entirely.
>> The "rmuser" and "pw userdel" commands can do this. They also
>> make sure the user is removed from the (generated) binary
>> databases.
>>

>>> I read the man page and cant see from that how to get rid off all
>>> the parts of the old account.
>>
>> You should have a look at "man rmuser" and "man pw".
>>

> #############
>

> Thanks, Olivier and Poly....
>
> I finally remembered the command when you mentioned. You are great at
> helping fix mind blocks.
>
> I just used "rmuser" and the problem is gone.
>
> :)

'cept that won't remove mySQL (etc), Pure-FTP, SAMBA, various email and
other accounts commonly found on FreeBSD boxes. It does remove users'
files from common locations (e.g. /tmp) but not the entire disk, and it
does take care of crontabs. In other words, this only removes accounts
assuming you are running the base system only, but if you've installed
anything else you need to check them too. As I said earlier, it depends
on your configuration.

Regards, Frank.