Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:28:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fortran continued [Re: sysinstall]

According to Mike Smith:
> > >  The port *is* currently marked
> > > BROKEN, which would indicate that it's crying out for a Fortran-using
> > > maintainer to step in and fix it, but there's nothing fundamentally
> > > wrong with it in its current organisation AFAICT.
> > >

> > finger -l fortran@gnu.org | more
> >
> > Seek to BETA.
>
> It would appear that you're very familiar with the current state of
> play with Fortran compilers then.  Would you care to perhaps update our
> existing port, as well as maintain the port of libg77?

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/g77-0.5.23.tar.gz

more README.g77
* To build GNU Fortran, you must have a source distribution of gcc
  version 2.8.  Do not attempt to use any other version
  of gcc, because this version of g77 is designed to work only with
  gcc version 2.8.

I think ports/lang/g77 should be removed, or it should point at egcs.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~clesceri/kargl.html