Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 02:19:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Phillip White <philw@megasoft.tic.ab.ca>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet packet sniffer.

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Phillip White stands accused of saying:
> >
> > I'm an admin on a FreeBSD machine.  I have seen alot of ethernet sniffers
> > for SunOS, Linux, etc, but none ported to FreeBSD.  Has anyone come
> > across one or even have one they can give me?  The TCPdump is not exactly
> > what I'm looking for but rather the same funtionality that is in
> > Solaris's "snoop" command.
>
> Can you be more specific about what it is that tcpdump doesn't do?

Sure..  From the way I see it function, it only shows packets not what is
in the packets.  Like if someone is on your machine entering information
at any prompt ie. telnet, ftp, bash, etc you actually see what they are
typing, typically in a line going down the screen because it is streaming.
Tcpdump just shows the whole packet and what type the packet is, ie.
netbeui, tcp etc.. and where it is going or coming from etc..

Phil..