Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Subject:   Re: Breaking news: FreeBSD is "considering implementing a preemp

On 16-Oct-01 Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 05:40:42PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>> Robert Love is writing a patch to make the Linux kernel preemptible,
>> and has some interesting ideas about FreeBSD:
>>
>> http://kerneltrap.com/article.php?sid=328&mode=thread&order=0
>
> AFAIK the FreeBSD 5.0 kernel is not fully preemptible either.  jhb
> was/is working on it but was having problems with stability.

Last time I played with it, it was stable on UP x86.  It was mostly stable on
UP alpha (had a problem where it didn't flush all teh buffers on shutdown) and
locked up instantly on SMP x86.  It is sitting in a very stale perforce tree
(jhb_preemption - //depot/users/jhb/preemption/) that I will be getting back to
eventually.