Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:28:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        batie@rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6 page fault (Prev: Re: 2.2.7 crash)

According to Alan Batie:
> I've got a freshly built 2.2.7 system.  First thing I did after rebooting
> to the hard disk was go into ports and start building things.  During the
> second build, the system crashed with a kernel page not present trying to
> access 0x0.  It only printed the line with the address, then the line that
> said "page not present" and not the usual register dump.  Here's the system
> config:
>

> Copyright (c) 1992-1998 FreeBSD Inc.
> Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
> 	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

	[[ ... ]]

> --
> Alan Batie                   ______    www.rdrop.com/users/batie     Me
> batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /    www.qrd.org         The Triangle

	Gentlemen::

	I suppose it is time (after 7 weeks) to re-report this
	page-fault | can't-find-disklabel bug from 2.2.6.

	This hit me after a power surge knocked out my 6x86
	in June.  ((And, it turns out, No, we did not ``stuff''
	the cables in the replaced hardware.))

	Following is what is output to the console every time
	we try to boot multi-user.  Single-user works flawlessly,
	including bringing the system up to multi-user by-hand.

> The problem:
>
> At the exact same place in the boot process each time, the kernel
> panics:
>
> Automatic reboot in progress...
> /dev/rsd0s1a: clean, 170441 free (425 frags, 21252 blocks, 0.2% fragmentation)
> sds2: cannot find label (I/O error)

> fault virtual address = 0x12a
> fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
> intstruction pointer  = 0x8:0xf01182b7
> stack pointer         = 0x10:0xefbffb5c
> frame pointer         = 0x10:0xefbffb7c
> code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process               = 11 (fsck)
> interupt mask         =
> panic: page fault
>
> syncing disks... 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 giving up
> Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
>

> What has been changed since it last worked:
>
> The only 2 things which have been changed since the box last booted
> normally are that the motherboard and SCSI card have been replaced.
> The previous SCSI card was an Adaptec 2940 built into the
> motherboard.  The new SCSI card is a separate Adaptec 2940.  All
> cabling, DIP switches on the drives, et cetera is exactly the same as
> it was (well, I changed it for some of the tests, but then I put it
> back the way I found it).

	Note that we are going to try at leastone last thing: a new
	P5 motherboard (( and perhaps yet-another 6x86 mb with
	built-in SCSI)).   This would return my second box to
	it previous state almost exactly.

	Meanwhile, if anyone has any ideas what's causing
	this page fault, please clue me in...

	danke,

	gary

--