Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2006 11:36:44 +0100
From:      Richard Arends <richard@unixguru.nl>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lenovo IBM Thinkpad T60

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 02:30:51PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:

Kevin,

> First, snd_hda had never been in STABLE.

Okay, i thought i did see some notes about snd_hda and
STABLE on 'google'.

> It is quite new and was added
> to CURRENT too late to be adequately tested before the freeze to prepare
> for 6.2-Release. I suspect it will be MFCed fairly soon as the the
> freeze on STABLE should be thawing (or might already be doing so).

That will be great.

> I believe that acpi_ibm should provide some fan control, but the fan is
> really not much of a power sink.

I found some fan control scripts for Linux which can fairly easy adapted
to FreeBSD. I will look in to that real soon, or has somebody else written
already a script, or is looking into it?

> Make sure that you install radeontool
> from ports. It will let you turn off the display (not just the
> back-light) and the DAC for the video out.

# radeontool light
The radeon backlight looks off
# radeontool light on
# radeontool light
The radeon backlight looks off

# radeontool dac
The radeon external DAC looks on
# radeontool dac off
# radeontool dac
The radeon external DAC looks on

Unfortunate it does not look to work for the T60.

> Try setting hw.pci.do_power_nodriver="1" in /boot/loader.conf. That will
> help (or crash the system). It works on my T43. You can then up the
> value to "2" or "3". I have yet to try "2", but "3" prevents by T43 from
> booting. Maybe the T60 will do better. Larger values result in more
> aggressive PCI power control.

Okay, i putted it on 3 and FreeBSD did not boot anymore. Value 2 works!

> Finally, limiting the CPU speed while on battery is a winner. If you
> use Gnome, use the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor and kill powerd. You
> can then manually set the speed. Try to enable EST. Add
> hint.est.0.disabled="1" to /boot/loader. It is not a win for my system,
> but it should be.

That will enable it, or disable it?? hint.est.0.disabled="1" seems to me that
it will disable est. I did set it anyway :)

> Even though I have these on my T43, Windoows still stretches battery
> quite a bit. I get about 3.5 hours on FreeBSD and about 5 on Windows.

:(

Thanks for your answers!

--
Regards,