Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2010 17:11:03 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>, jsa@wickedmachine.net, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLC does not support the audio or video format "XVID".

On 04/18/10 16:30, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> My plan at this point is to re-upgrade to the latest -current, record
>> the error I get from libxml2 when recompiling openbox, and then try
>> recompiling stuff until I find the one that does the trick. Worst case
>> scenario I do 'portmaster -f vlc' but that constitutes 175 ports, which
>> would take a while.
>
>     Yeah... that's what I thought it was.

So we each get a cookie. :)  My plan worked, and after recompiling
gpac-libgpac vlc can once again understand divx. The error I got when
trying to rebuild openbox with an old libxlm2 (linked against the old
libz) was: undefined reference to `gzopen@ZLIBprivate_1.0'

Which makes sense because if I'm reading the change in r206709 right,
that's exactly what happened (gzopen et al moved from the private
interface to the public one).

For delphij's sake I'm not sure if there is a "bug" here. For something
with less subtle use of shared libs the solution would have been
obvious. It's the fact that (as Garrett pointed out) vlc plays tricks
that masked the real source of the problem.

Regards,

Doug

			-- Propellerheads