Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:08:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        brdean@unx.sas.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emacs / ncurses - problem somewhere

|Hi,
|
|Ever since the libtermcap / libncurses consolidation, change emacs has
|problems positioning the cursor and properly updating the screen for
|character-only devices like the console.  It also affects the display
|in an xterm in non-X mode, i.e., when DISPLAY is *not* set.
|
|This is emacs 20.4, by the way on current as of yesterday.  I've tried
|emacs from packages as well as a freshly built one from the ports and
|both exhibit the problem.
|
|Note that emacs works fine when it brings up is own window due to
|DISPLAY being set.
|
|Has anyone else seen this and already have a fix or know for sure
|whether this is an emacs bug or a FreeBSD bug?

Yup!  And also for 19.34b...  I've searched all over for the
source of this problem, glad to know I'm not alone.  However,
it only affects one of my three -current boxes, so apparently there is
bit of cruft lying around,  but I haven't been able to find
the sucker causing this.  (mergemaster'd repeatedly)

Russell

|Thanks,
|-Brian
|--