Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:32:44 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Brady Montz <bradym@mail.hydrologue.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIA crahes - solved (it seems)!

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:14:57PM -0800, Brady Montz stood up and spoke:

> One final note, I stress tested it on windows and linux specifically
> looking for this problem, with no luck (or good luck, depending on
> your point of view, it didn't crash though). And this machine ran
> linux without a single crash for years before switching to
> BSD. Crashes and all, I've grown fond of BSD and would rather not
> switch back. A hardware glitch that is only tickled by one OS is
> perfectly feasible.

Yes, things are strange at time. As I said, my machine would crash as of
last weeks sources, but with this Saturday's sources the problems are gone.
The strange think is that according to my knowledge, no parts that could
have had to do with the crash I was experiencing were modified in the new
sources. So, sometimes it's better not to ask how a problem was solved -
after all, a problem solving itself is probably the best thing that can
happen to us ;-)

> I've tested the RAM with the various ram testing software out there
> (memtest86 being my favorite). What can I use to test the CPU or
> motherboard?

There may be software for that purpose, but from what I have heard such
test software often misses problems that get triggered during real-world
operations. There will also be hardware test equipment or testing
mainboards and CPUs, but getting such stuff is probably not an option.

So, what can be done? The best approach is probably swapping. Simply try
the CPU in a different motherboard, exchange the RAM, exchange any
expansion cards. Using such shuffeling, you should eventually be able to
pin the problem down to a certain component, which is then the fualty one
that needs replacing.

Of course, this approach is sometimes a little hard. I remember when I
first bought an Athlon Socket A System which had problems. I couldn't do
much component swapping as the only other machines I had were K6-2 /Socket
7 based. Of course I could not swap boards and CPUs between the Socket A
and Socket 7 systems ;-)

Now that I'm at it, you may also want to set your BIOS settings to some
conservative settings. I have seen a machine that behaves a little strange
in terms of RAM timing settings. Specifically, if I set the DRAM Timing on
that machine to normal, it won't boot at all and hangs during the POST.
If I set it to "Turbo" it will boot, but crash under stress. The other tree
settings "Medium", "Fast" and "SDRAM 8/10 ns" work totally fine, and the
machine will not crash even if I let it repeatedly compile stuff overnight.

Bottom line: If a system produces reproducible crashes, I'd first check the
BIOS settings, set them to more "unoptimized" values and see what happens.
If the problem persists, component swapping is probably the best method to
track the problem down, though this may not always be easy due to the lack
of exchange components at hand.

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany