Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 18:21:54
From:      "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   vpn with mpd-netgraph, 4.4-STABLE

I'm trying to get mpd-netgraph to work so that I can log in to my ISP that
uses PPTP VPN software.  I'e read the docs, writen a config file, but it
doesn't seem to be able to connect (or I think it connects, but doesn't
negotiate/authenticate). Stranger still is that when running mpd from the
command line and loading a bundle I get error messages like:

set pptp mode: unknown command. Try "help".
[myisp_bundle] using interface ng0
mpd: option "mppc" unknown
[myisp_bundle:myisp_link]

set pptp mode active is in the docs, as is option mppc!  I imagine my config
files are incorrect, but never using pptp/netgraph/mpd before and not
understanding the underlying paradigm, I have no idea where I should start
looking. I'm not even sure I'm using the right software for what I want to
do, although several deja searches and posts both here and to questions
resulted in no answers.

I'm running 4.4-STABLE, have a dual home host with ipfw and natd running. My
home LAN is on 192.168.128.0 and my ISP is on 10.10.2.0, their VPN server on
10.10.1.1. I get an IP via DHCP from them (10.10.2.0 range), conenct to VPN
server to get a routable IP from a pool of dynamically adressable addresses,
then I should be online.  However I haven't gotten it to work. LAN/inside is
on dc0, outside is on wi0 (Lucent).

Here's a transcript of the connection attempt:
[myisp_bundle:myisp_link] open
[myisp_bundle] IFACE: Open event
[myisp_bundle] IPCP: Open event
[myisp_bundle] IPCP: state change Initial --> Starting
[myisp_bundle] IPCP: LayerStart
[myisp_bundle:myisp_link] [myisp_bundle] bundle: OPEN event in state CLOSED
[myisp_bundle] opening link "myisp_link"...
[myisp_link] link: OPEN event
[myisp_link] LCP: Open event
[myisp_link] LCP: state change Initial --> Starting
[myisp_link] LCP: LayerStart
[myisp_link] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
pptp0: connecting to 10.10.1.1:1723
[myisp_link] device is now in state OPENING
pptp0: connected to 10.10.1.1:1723
pptp0: attached to connection with 10.10.1.1:1723
pptp0-0: outgoing call connected at 64000 bps
[myisp_link] PPTP call successful
[myisp_link] device: UP event in state OPENING
[myisp_link] device is now in state UP
[myisp_link] link: UP event
[myisp_link] link: origination is local
[myisp_link] LCP: Up event
[myisp_link] LCP: state change Starting --> Req-Sent
[myisp_link] LCP: phase shift DEAD --> ESTABLISH
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #1
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #2
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #3
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #4
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #5
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #6
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #7
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #8
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #9
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #10
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM 95c7bf8b
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Stopped
[myisp_link] LCP: LayerFinish
[myisp_link] LCP: parameter negotiation failed
[myisp_link] LCP: LayerFinish
[myisp_link] device: CLOSE event in state UP
pptp0-0: clearing call
[myisp_link] device is now in state CLOSING
[myisp_link] device: CLOSE event in state CLOSING
[myisp_link] device is now in state CLOSING
[myisp_link] device: DOWN event in state CLOSING
[myisp_link] device is now in state DOWN
[myisp_link] link: DOWN event
[myisp_link] LCP: Down event
[myisp_link] LCP: state change Stopped --> Starting
[myisp_link] LCP: phase shift ESTABLISH --> DEAD
[myisp_link] LCP: LayerStart
[myisp_link] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
[myisp_link] pausing 9 seconds before open
[myisp_link] device is now in state DOWN
[myisp_link] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
[myisp_link] device is now in state DOWN
pptp0-0: peer call disconnected res=disconnect request err=none
pptp0-0: killing channel
pptp0: closing connection with 10.10.1.1:1723
pptp0: ctrl connection closed by peer
pptp0: killing connection with 10.10.1.1:1723
[myisp_link] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
pptp0: connecting to 10.10.1.1:1723
[myisp_link] device is now in state OPENING
pptp0: connected to 10.10.1.1:1723
pptp0: attached to connection with 10.10.1.1:1723
pptp0-0: outgoing call connected at 64000 bps
[myisp_link] PPTP call successful
[myisp_link] device: UP event in state OPENING
[myisp_link] device is now in state UP
[myisp_link] link: UP event
[myisp_link] link: origination is local
[myisp_link] LCP: Up event
[myisp_link] LCP: state change Starting --> Req-Sent
[myisp_link] LCP: phase shift DEAD --> ESTABLISH
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #11
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #12
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #13
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #14
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #15
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #16
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #17
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #18
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #19
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: SendConfigReq #20
ACFCOMP
PROTOCOMP
MRU 1500
MAGICNUM a6eb13db
AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFT
[myisp_link] LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Stopped
[myisp_link] LCP: LayerFinish
[myisp_link] LCP: parameter negotiation failed
[myisp_link] LCP: LayerFinish
[myisp_link] device: CLOSE event in state UP
pptp0-0: clearing call
[myisp_link] device is now in state CLOSING
[myisp_link] device: CLOSE event in state CLOSING
[myisp_link] device is now in state CLOSING
[myisp_link] device: DOWN event in state CLOSING
[myisp_link] device is now in state DOWN
[myisp_link] link: DOWN event
[myisp_link] LCP: Down event
[myisp_link] LCP: state change Stopped --> Starting
[myisp_link] LCP: phase shift ESTABLISH --> DEAD
[myisp_link] LCP: LayerStart
[myisp_link] giving up after 1 connection attempts
[myisp_link] LCP: Close event
[myisp_link] LCP: state change Starting --> Initial
[myisp_link] LCP: LayerFinish
[myisp_bundle] closing link "myisp_link"...
[myisp_bundle] IPCP: Close event
[myisp_bundle] IPCP: state change Starting --> Initial
[myisp_bundle] IPCP: LayerFinish
[myisp_bundle] bundle: CLOSE event in state OPENED
[myisp_link] link: CLOSE event
[myisp_link] LCP: Close event
[myisp_link] device: OPEN event in state DOWN
[myisp_link] pausing 9 seconds before open
[myisp_link] device is now in state DOWN
[myisp_link] device: CLOSE event in state DOWN
[myisp_link] device is now in state DOWN
pptp0-0: peer call disconnected res=disconnect request err=none
pptp0-0: killing channel
pptp0: closing connection with 10.10.1.1:1723
pptp0: ctrl connection closed by peer
pptp0: killing connection with 10.10.1.1:1723

[myisp_bundle:myisp_link]

Here's my mpd.conf (in /usr/local/etc/mpd as /etc/ppp didn't seem to work):

#
# mpd.conf configuration file
#
myisp_test:
        new -i ng0 myisp_bundle myisp_link
	set iface disable on-demand
	set bundle disable multilink
        set bundle authname "mylogin"
	set link max-redial 1
	set link yes pap
	set link yes chap
	set link no mppc
	set link disable no-orig-auth
        set ipcp ranges 0.0.0.0 213.225.121.0/0
        set iface route default

And here's my mpd.links file:

#
# mpd.links configuration file
#
# myisp via pptp
myisp_link:
        set link type pptp
	set pptp mode active
        set pptp peer 10.10.1.1
	set pptp enable originate outcall

The ISP runs the PPTP VPR server on Linux, prefers that we use CHAP but
support both CHAP and PAP. I've tried both in the setup, without luck. I
suppose my problem lies elsewhere.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Regards,
Thor