Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:11:17 -0800
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Tony Wells <awells@journalstar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: traceroute question

--==_Exmh_-1757363394P

If memory serves me right, Tony Wells wrote:
> I have a machine I'm having a problem getting to.  When I do a
> traceroute the machines a hop or two away from the target return the
> times are followed by a '!N'.  I checked the man page for traceroute
> and it says that this means 'ICMP unreachable code N'.
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is a clarification of what exactly 'ICMP
> unreachable code N' means.

Take a look at /usr/include/netinet/ip_icmp.h.  As ou look through the
file, you'll see some #define statements for macros beginning with the
words "ICMP_UNREACH_".  Those are the ICMP unreachable code values, and
the comments in each line give a rather terse explanation of what each
code value signifies.

For more information, you can consult RFC 792 from the IETF web site:

http://www.ietf.org/

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1757363394P