Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2019 21:17:13 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch

On Sun, 21 Apr 2019 12:04:07 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> > > Sometimes after I kill the xinit processes I see the following message:
> > >
> > > (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
> > >
> > > I presume that something is preventing the vt switching from happening.
> >
> > THat's probably the same thing that makes vt an inappropriate
> > replacement for sc. ;-)
> >
> > Have you tried disabling AIGLX? In a partial configuration file
> > in X's configuration directory, /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/,
> > you could try this:
> >
> > 	Section "ServerFlags"
> > 		Option	"DontVTSwitch"	"false"
> > 		Option	"AIGLX"		"false"
> > 	EndSection
> >
> > Check for any missing functionality within X.
>
> In better times, I used to have an XF86Config describing everything I
> needed, even modelines. In fact, now I have zero X configs.  Do you mean
> I should create an incomplete config with only those tidbits you
> provided?

With xorg.conf.d, you can use one partial configuration file
per item that you need to configure deviating from the auto-
detection magic. In /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, you can
have multiple files with names of your choice. For example,
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/no_aiglx.conf could be the
filename for the snippet shown above.

In the past, I preferred to have a /etc/X11/Xorg.conf with
all global settings in it, such as supported and switchable (!)
screen sizes, keyboard language, or non-standard fonts. Today,
you can still configure parts of X, and you don't need to have
a complete ("valid") xorg.conf file.

For example, I have /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard-de.conf
which just contains this:

	Section "InputClass"
		Identifier	"KeyboardDefaults"
	        Driver		"keyboard"
	        MatchIsKeyboard	"on"
	        Option		"XkbLayout"	"de"
	EndSectio

This makes sure I get a german keyboard independent from any
window manager or desktop I use (unless the desktop environment
thinks it's okay to override a priority setting, in which case
I'll get very angry).

In order to load a few additional modules, I also have a file
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/modules.conf:

	Section "Module"
		Load	"fb"
		Load	"vgahw"
	EndSection

But the worst thing is /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/screen-resolution.conf
which I need to switch screen size depending on using the laptop's
LCD, a CRT, or a VGA->video converter:

	Section "Screen"
		Identifier "Screen0"
		Device "Card0"
		SubSection "Display"
	#		Modes "1280x800"        # LCD R500
			Modes "1024x768"	# CRT R61i
	#		Modes "640x480"		# CRT R61i + video link
		EndSubSection
	EndSection

Even though I could get a bigger screen size, I cannot get
more than 800px vertical, so I decided to stop worrying and
love the CRT. ;-)

Even though the CRT is capable of much higher resolutions,
and even if I attach a LCD capable of 1280x1024, there is
no way I can force X to support those modes.

Sadly, just using Ctrl+Alt+[+]/[-] to switch through a set of
resolutions doesn't seem to be possible anymore... :-(

> > And if you're using MATE, you're probably also using the dreaded
> > combination of HAL and Dbus, things long forgotten in Linux land,
>
> By the way, if the alternative to the dreaded combination of hald and
> dbus on Linux is the dreaded systemd, I don't really know which is worse.

Yes, it's hard to tell which one is worse. However, systemd
is currently in a maintained state (actively developed, taking
over many components of basic system startup and operations),
but HAL and DBus have been abandoned years ago, they only seem
to exist as legacy components. Don't ask me where the *Kit stuff
(PolicyKit, ConsoleKit, etc.) fit into this mess, I have to
admit that I never even tried to understand this on Linux.

> But, once it comes to that, if I wanted to run an X desktop on a FreeBSD
> system, like a modern fashionable guy, what alternatives do I have that
> would not require the dreaded HAL and Dbus?

You would need to compile the applications yourself, switching
off HAL and DBus support. I'm currently writing this on a system
that neither has nor runs HAL or DBUs, without their absence
causing any problems. :-)

> If I could find a way to run two independent sessions within one X
> server, I would do that.

This has been part of Gnome 2, and, if I remember correctly,
at least _has_ been working on MATE. On a system I once upgraded,
Gnome 2 became replaced with unusable Gnome 3, so I installed
MATE instead (leaving the remains of Gnome 2 and 3 on the disk),
and on the MATE desktop, there was the "Session switcher" still
available. In the german version, it was called "Benutzer wechseln"
(change user). I also replaced gdm by slim, so that probably is
not a required part. I wonder if MATE supports (supported?) it
natively, or if it really is just about what Gnome left behind...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany