Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 2003 01:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KSE signals broken by 1:1 commit.

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Jake Burkholder wrote:

> Apparently, On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 08:22:24PM -0700,
> 	Julian Elischer said words to the effect of;
>
> > I'm going to apply to core since jeff is absent, to have permission for
> > us to fix it and possibly break 1:1 (*).  I specifically asked him to
> > ensure
> > that this didn't happen if he committed his changes and told him it
> > looked as if it would.
> >
> > (*) I don't WANT to break 1:1 but we can't test it at the moment as it
> > core-dumps so we have no way to see if we are breaking it :-(
>
> Are any of you running an up to date kernel from after the lazy switch
> changes?  If you create a process with multiple threads you will get a
> kernel panic in cpu_throw when the first one exits because thread_exit
> and thr_exit both clear td_proc and cpu_throw uses td_proc now. A program
> like this provokes it:
[snip test code]

> This patch will allow you to run libthr apps to ensure that you don't
> break them:

[snip patch]

> I think this issue can wait 3 days until jeff gets back.
>
> Jake

Thanks jake..

I suspect that it can wait as well.  I had reports from a user that this
didn't break kse but I didn't specifically test it myself.  People are
using thr now though so I'd hope we could avoid breaking it.  KSE signals
didn't work well enough at the time that I commited thr to be too
concerned.  It seemed as if more work was required to get it right anyway.

Could you please tell me exactly what you want and let me implement it
instead of backing out working code.  If you just want a per process or
kseg mask we can do that although I'm not sure if this is correct.

Really julian, after all your complaints about people asking you to
backout code that broke the build I'd think you'd be a little more
reasonable.

Cheers,
Jeff