Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 13:31:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        PMolloy@compuserve.com (Paul Molloy)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail configration problems on FreeBSD 2.2.2

Paul Molloy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if there is anybody who can help me with this problem.  I am
> very new to FreeBSD and I in fact did not install the systems that we have
> running but this problem really is about sendmail.
>
> I am trying to set up our company e-mail using two FreeBSD systems
> separated by a router so as to implement a firewall for security.  I (with
> my Internet provider) have been able to successfully receive Internet
> messages and transport them to the second server.  Then we have been able
> to get the users to login over the network and remotely to collect the
> mail.
>
> My problem is in the reply.  Obviously I want the mail to go from the
> second server back to the first and from there to the Internet.  Instead
> the second server is trying to send the mail directly to the Internet.  Is
> there a way to tell sendmail to send all the mail from the second server to
> the first?

	in the interior (second server) sendmail box must use the
	exterior (first server) sendmail box as its "smart host".

	assuming that the exterior (first server) sendmail box's
	name is foo.rubbermaid.be.

	in the interior (second server) sendmail box's /etc/sendmail.cf
	file find the line "DS", change that line to
	"DSsmtp8:foo.rubbermaid.be".

	then restart sendmail on the interior (second server)
	sendmail box.
jmb