Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 15:02:54 -0400
From:      Geoffrey Robinson <geoffr@globalserve.net>
To:        Dima Dorfman <webmaster@zwb.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAM Drive

Thanks for the suggestion but that wouldn't help much since I want a RAM
drive for faster I/O.  I've got CGIs that run up to 3 times a second and
each time they read in several big data files and make lots of changes
to them that have to be committed to disk each time. It is possible to
use RAM memory for a virtual drive and speed I/O access up, right?

Dima Dorfman wrote:

> You can install a 'RAM Drive' by mounting your swap partition using MFS.
> Full details are at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook43.html#45
> (look under MFS)
>

> At 12:44 AM 4/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >I need to set up a RAM drive on my FreeBSD 2.2.5RELEASE server but I
> >can't find any information on how to do it. I understand there are some
> >lines that I have to add to the kernel and possibly some other stuff.
> >Just a list of steps would be very helpful.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.

- Geoff