Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:16:50 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@free.fr>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbusifying kbd?

On Thursday 23 January 2003 7:43 pm, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> > > You do.
> >
> > This isn't terribly useful when you want to do something
> > non-trivial with the video hardware like 3D rendering. Designing a
> > lovely console output mechanism which prevents high-performance 2D
> > and 3D drivers in userland is pretty pointless.
>
> The precondition obviously is that the kernel driver has the same
> HP 2D/3D features as a userland driver. I find it interesting, but
> doubt that it will work in practice. It's hard to write and
> maintain a portable graphics driver that works with dozens of OSes.
> Especially since performance and portability are opposite forces.

All I'm trying to say is that the XFree86 project and the DRI projects=20
have already solved the problem of providing reasonable access to 2D=20
and 3D graphics hardware. There isn't much point in pursuing another=20
solution that doesn't leverage that work.

--=20
Doug Rabson=09=09=09=09Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
=09=09=09=09=09Phone: +44 20 8348 6160