Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:28:49 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Florian Bofinger <bofax@camelot.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVD-Ram with 4.0-CURRENT

On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 20:07:49 +0100, Florian Bofinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a Toshiba DVD-RAM SD-W1111 with an Adaptec 2940 UW Pro under
> FreeBSD 4.0-CURRENT.
>
> I want to put a UFS filesystem on a DVD-Ram (2.6 Gig).
> When I insert a DVD-Ram and execute sysinstall, I get following message at
> the console...
>
> dscheck(rda1): b_bcount 512 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 2048)
>
> ... and sysinstall exits.
>
> I jumpered the DVD-Ram to multiple-LUN-Support, while booting I get
> following messages:
>
> da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 1
> da1: <TOSHIBA DVD-RAM SD-W1111 1010> Removable Optical SCSI-2 device
> da1: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
> da1: 2380MB (1218960 2048 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 75C)
> cd1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> cd1: <TOSHIBA DVD-RAM SD-W1111 1010> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> cd1: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15)
> cd1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

That's odd.  I suppose it just reports "not ready" on the CD LUN if you've
got DVD-RAM media in the drive?  Interesting.

> The DVD-Ram has no jumper to jumper it to a blocksize of 512 bytes..
>
> I can partition the medium with fdisk  and I can disklabel it (but don't know
> what values to put on it...).
>
> Anyone any suggestions?

Yeah, use disklabel to partition it, and then use newfs.  My guess is that
sysinstall is doing something that accesses the raw device in 512 byte
chunks, which of course doesn't work for devices with a 2K blocksize.

I'm working on DVD-RAM support in the CD driver, so you won't have to
enable multiple LUN support on your DVD-RAM to get it to work.  (You'll be
able to read/write with the CD driver.)

The main hangup is what to do about disklabel support.  I haven't worked on
it in a few weeks, since I've got other more pressing things to do.

So using the da driver is the right approach for now.  It should be able to
handle 2K blocksizes okay, you probably just need to use disklabel and
newfs on the drive instead of trying to use sysinstall.  (I'm not sure what
it is doing in 512 byte chunks that causes the problem.)

> Btw: when's UDF ready?  :)

Ask Julian, I think he said he was being paid to work on it.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org