Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2014 18:10:22 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Charlie <cwr@SDF.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to set default browser without DE

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 14:05:38 +0000 (UTC), Charlie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running the 'cwm' window manager without a desktop environment.
> Firefox acts as my default browser; however, I'd like to switch to
> Chromium.

I had the same problem here: Default was Firefox, but I wanted
Opera. Many programs defaultet to Firefox even though I tried
to change the default. I ended up renaming the binary. ;-)

> I've searched DuckDuckGo and Google high and low, and I can't seem to
> figure out how I can set the default browser since I'm not using a desktop
> environment.

There are basically two mechanisms involved.

The first one is that some programs seem to query $BROWSER, for
example to display their help pages (HTML).

The second one is that they call xdg-open with the file name and
have that program choose the required program to open the file
depending on MIME type. You'll probably have to configure this
part. By trying to do so, you're entering the realm of despair.
As I have to admit, I didn't get this working as desired, so I
went the way described above (renamed undesired browser binary).
But maybe those pointers can help you:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xdg-open#Set_the_default_browser

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Default_applications

If this does _not_ apply, you need to find out where the default
browser is anchored within the cwm configuration, or _if_ it is
related to cwm, or just handled somehow different. Good luck. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany