Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 21:52:07 +0100
From:      Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD have a problem with some AMD processors?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 06:10:09PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> I've been using AMD processors almost exclusively in my main work
> machines for over 4 years, and I've been very happy with them.  I'm
> currently running a K6/233, a K6/333, an Athlon 750, a Duron 850 and
> an Athlon XP 1700.  Last August, though, I bought a machine which gave
> me a lot of trouble, the Duron 850 mentioned above.  I found that it
> would freeze for no apparent reason.  I established that it wasn't the
> memory by taking the memory of another machine and running it like
> that; it made no difference.  I ended up also changing the motherboard
> and the processor, but the hangs continued.   I could expect a hang
> within 8 hours when doing 'make release'

I'm running an AMD Thunderbird 1200 on an ECS-K7S5A (SiS 735 chipset),
with 256 MB DDR SDRAM installed. I experience random reboots with that
system, though I have had a few people on -questions tell me to make
sure my cards are properly seated as the ECS boards seem to be very
picky about that (I still don't believe that is the reason). I'm going
to check out the RAM later today, but I'm not really sure what is wrong
with that machine.

My first two AMD machines, a K6-2 350 on as ASUS-P5A and a Duron 800 on
an ASUS-A7V will just freeze after booting and showing the login prompt
(this happens around once every ten boots or so). No problmes under
Windows. A friend of mine running the same motherboard with WinXP also
experiences random reboots though, so I'm hoping a BIOS update might
work some magic, though the fixes list doesn't hint at this. Most other
people I've talked to consider their ECS boards rock-solid.

> Just for the fun of it, I tried running Linux on it.  I've been

Didn't do that, wouldn't know if the problems also exist under Linux.

Anyway, that was my experience. The ATA100 controller on the board is
only recognized as an ATA33 controller, but I'll be sending Soeren
whatever he needs shortly in hope of fixing that.

If anyone has even a hint as to what else could be causing these
reboots, I'd very much appreciate it (-questions didn't really come up
with much).

And before I forget, the machine is running 4.4-STABLE.

--
-Munish