Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 08:27:06 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Art Neilson, WH7N" <art@pilikia.hi.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive: 1

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 07:40:32AM -1000, Art Neilson, WH7N wrote:
> I've been running 3.4-Stable for a while now and finally updated my
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf from /usr/src/etc/defaults/rc.conf.  I noticed
> the new sysctl toggles in the conf file, and was wondering what this one
> in particular did?  I thought keepalive packets were for systems connected
> up to providers who whould time them out if they had no activity for x
> length of time.  The comment here seems to indicate it is for cleanup
> of dead connections.  Can someone enlighten me or point me to relevant doc?

If you have tcp keepalives on, the tcp stack will periodically
check that the machine at the other end of an idle tcp connection
is still there. If it has gone away it will shut down the connection.

There are other sysctl settings which control how long a tcp
connection must be idle before it is checked, and how many checks
are done before the connection is shut down.

	David.