Date:      Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:50:03 +0800
From:      Khairil Yusof <kaeru@pd.jaring.my>
To:        Soheil Hassas Yeganeh <soheil.h.y@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing with CUPS problem

--=-Ggm1scK9M1BV8dXAGhJL

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 18:00 +0430, Soheil Hassas Yeganeh wrote:

> When I print from gedit or any other application to the lpr ( Generic
> Postscript printer ) there is no job is on my samba printer and i can
> not print.

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but printing to lpr doesn't work?

#which lpr=20

Does it give you /usr/bin/lpr?

You might need to install print/cups-lpr which will print to your cups
samba printer, instead of using the system lpr. You have to make sure
that you're using CUP's lp* utils which are in /usr/local/bin. If you
install cups-lpr with CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=3Dyes, then it will rename the
base lpr files automatically.

> By the way, can these printer be seen on the gnome print menu, like
> what they have on linux ?

By default FreeBSD Gnome ports do not build with cups enabled. You
should define WITH_CUPS either in your /etc/make.conf or when building
print/libgnomeprint port.

#portupgrade -rf print/libgnomeprint=20

should rebuild your gnome apps that use libgnomeprint with cups enabled.
You should now see your cups printers in your apps gnome print dialogs.

--=-Ggm1scK9M1BV8dXAGhJL

--=-Ggm1scK9M1BV8dXAGhJL--