Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:52:03 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        dontspamhenk@xs4all.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing vinum after removing a HDD

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 07:41:48PM +0100, dontspamhenk@xs4all.nl wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.8 on a system with 5 HDD's. ad0 is to be removed
> from the system. ad1, ad2 and ad3 contain my vinum drives. FreeBSD resides
> on the last disk (da0).
>=20
> Can anyone tell me if the following procedure is the right way to do it?
> 1. physically remove ad0
> 2. vinum resetconfig
> 3. change drivenumbers in vinum.conf
> 4. run vinum with the new configfile

As far as my (limited) vinum knowledge goes, you really don't need to do a
resetconfig.

Vinum writes the configuration to the disk and reads the information from i=
t.
I think it will be able to cope with a missing disk by itself because the
label on it has not changed; on what is now /dev/ad1s1h vinum has stored
the fact that this vinum drive is labeled 'a', and even if the freebsd
device node changes names, vinum will still know that the then /dev/ad0s1h
is labeled 'a'.

Unfortunately this is only my understanding and I haven't yet needed to
do such an operation for real. YMMV.

--Stijn

--=20
The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body.  This means
that only left handed people are in their right mind.

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--