Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 00:26:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, phk@dk.tfs.com, dg@root.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: core group topics

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Chuck Robey stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > Far be it for me to come off sounding anti-ELF, when I've been
> > > so violently in favor of it for so long, but... I had a number
> > > of large problems getting the GRUB code to actually work.
> >
> > I know very little about boot loaders, but I was wondering if anyone had
> > seen a tool called solo, which seems to be a bootloder by Frank Barrus?
>
> Yup.  It's another GPL'd unbuildable monstrosity 8)

I spoke with him after his announcement of maybe 3 months ago, asking why
he had to limit it to GPL, so that FreeBSDers couldn't consider he.  I got
told he'd consider it, and it looks like he did, from the most recent
release licensing terms.  The non-profit part was removed, just says you
have to give credit in the documentation, and the source copyright has to
remain.

I'll try to compile it.  Maybe you're right, and it's still unbuildable.

> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[
> ]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
> ]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
> ]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
> ]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |