Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 22:59:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, taob@risc.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StrongARM based NC with NetBSD

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Well, considering that Jeffrey Hsu and I both have a start on the code,
> > and I believe we both have the hardware for the port...
>
> I asked Jeff, but he says there are more ALPHA-knowledgeable people
> out there than he and he'd rather they do it so he can focus on trying
> to get someone to subsidize his JDK 1.1 port, which sounds like what
> he'd much rather be doing. :)

1. What do you mean by "subsidize his JDK 1.1 port" exactly? As in find
someone to pay him salary for the hours he works on it?? I would *love* to
see a good JDK 1.1 port on FreeBSD (especially with the thread stuff from
libc_r/3.0). Also, I believe Nate had applied for a porting license from
SunSoft but never heard back.. Perhaps the JDK effort should be
coordinated?

2. FreeBSD-Alpha. Is this beast going to be a reality? Is the source code
tree cleaned up now to allow  another hardware platform? (Sorry, I
haven't been following -current.. I'll catch up) I'm a techincally
incompetent individual when it comes to this type of porting (I just
haven't had enough time to look at Unix/FreeBSD system internals to feel
confident enough to dig into the source..), but I do have experience
porting large FORTRAN apps from NEC SX3/4 supercomputers to DEC alphas
runnning Digital Unix. I have an aplphastation-255 (300MHz) that is "free
for beating on" - i.e. I can test code!! Finally, I need to buy a new PC,
and I wouldn't mind picking up one of the shiny new 21164A-PC based
alphas! For $2500 you can get a screamin' 533MHz beastie these days...
Wow.

With DEC now sleeping with Microsoft, and dedicated to NT, and with
Microsoft promising a 64-bit NT for the Alpha with the NT 5.0 release, I'm
finally confident that the Alpha may just make it into mainstream "PC"
world. It would really rock to have FreeBSD on the alpha.

Just my $.02.
-Mark

> 					Jordan

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	"Typically, I don't use JAVA -- I think that strong typing
	is for weak minds (and lazy compiler/interpreter writers)."
						-- Terry Lambert