Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 11:17:13 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best supported multiport ethernet card?

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 11:37:02 -0400, Daniel M. Eischen wrote:
> I'm also in the market for a GB (1000BaseSX) card.  Anyone
> have any problems with the SysKonnect SK9843 or SK9844 and
> the sk driver?

I don't have any experience with the SysKonnect boards, but I would highly
recommend an Alteon board.

You can get the Netgear GA620 for about $310, and the 3Com 3c985B for about
$675.  Both are rebagded Alteon Tigon 2 boards.  The difference is that the
Netgear has 512K SRAM and the 3Com has 1MB SRAM.

The Alteon boards support checksum offloading (the code is in -current in
fact) and jumbo frames.  I've got 15-20 boards, and have been pretty
happy with them.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry