Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 12:42:55 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE or SCSI for home system?

Hi-

Yes...I understand that SCSI drives would give me better performance, but...at
home I've currently got a 1Gb IDE drive (that came with the system) and a
1.4Gb Quantum Empire (if I remember correctly) SCSI drive that I hang off my
NCR 53c815 based SCSI card (along with my CDROM drive and an external Exabyte
EXB-8200 tape drive).  Now...the SCSI HD is acting like it's thinking about
giving up the ghost (I think - on powerup it will sometimes take several tries
before the "scanning for devices" phase of the FreeBSD boot sequence will find
it and use it - I don't know if it's the drive going or some config thing that
I could tweak somewhere...hints welcome).

At any rate, I've been thinking of adding a couple Gig of disk space and
looking at the prevailing (low end) prices, the 2Gb IDE drives for ~$300 look
awful attractive. Are there any good reasons for spending twice as much on a
SCSI drive?  I figure I can put the new drive off its own IDE interface and
general speed of the drive ought to be fine. Has anyone seen/posted a pros &
cons list for choosing one type of drive over the other? (I'm not looking to
start a discussion of the merits of programming one sort of device driver or
another...just end user [with tight budget :-)] pros & cons).

Thanx,
Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org