Date:         Mon, 27 Mar 1995 15:03:06 +0200 (O)
From:      ROBIN@ptnsct.nis.za (Robin Hunt)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem installing second hard drive

Hi,

I have an existing installation using a conner 513Meg drive running on
a caching IDE controller (with 2Mb or RAM). The motherboard is a 486DX280
with 16Meg of RAM.

I am running the 950213 snap shot of 2.0 RELEASE.

My problem is that I am trying to install a Conner CFA850 850MB hard drive.
(Drive geometry: 1652/16/63). I have tried both the manual approach and
using sysinstall.

Sysinstall runs, allows me to FDISK, DISKLABEL do the various assigns etc,
but when I select (P)roceed, it exits with no message at all. This happens
when I use it with the system in multi-user mode. If I boot it off the
floppy, it gets the drive geometry wrong (1023/16/63) and refuses to belive
me when I correct it (it keeps going back to 1023/16/63)

My attempts to install it manually by running fdisk/disklabel/newfs have
met with even less success.

Which ever method I use though, the results are the same.

1) The drive will happily mount and dismount, without complaints
2) On rebooting, fsck fails with a variety of errors, usually
   complaining about bad magic numbers or can't read sectors or
   the like.
3) before rebooting, it is stable for a while, but writing a few files
   of > 500K to the device provokes a panic complaining about some info
   being mangled.

HELP!

I am not sure what else to try, suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks,

robin@ptnsct.nis.za