Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:36:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Clark <jc@netview.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Virtual Name Servers

Hello,

I was looking for someone who had in depth knowledge of the named (name
daemon) in FreeBSD.  In particular, I was trying to setup an alias for my
name server.  The reason is to look like 2 different name servers are
running on 2 different domains.  For example:

  ns.company-a.com      1.1.1.1
  ns.company-b.com      2.2.2.2

Both would actually be ns.company-a.com (1.1.1.1), but company-b would look
like they were running their own name server.  I tell you that named code is
so poor (patched), I can't figure what the heck is going on.  I am surprised
it works at all!

As Internet users become more sophisticated, they will run whois queries to
see who is really running their own server -- I would like to make it
virtually impossible to detect that my clients do not actually run their own
server.

  John Clark jc@netview.net
  NetView Communications
  http://www.netview.net