Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 01:23:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, beng@lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network problem with 2.2.6-STABLE

> > >   Perhaps, but dump/restore is broken for large filesystems.  Perhaps one
> > > of the dump/restore advocates should fix it before a new user is swayed by
> > > the rhetoric into using dump/restore, only to watch restore core dump on
> > > large dumps.
> >
> > Be happy to.  Where is you real bug report that details the problem,
> > instead of just stating that there is one?  So far, all I have seen
>
>   Posted Apr 16 to freebsd-stable.  The only response that I received was
> from someone that said, "thats just like the PR that I sent a long time
> ago".
>
>   Anyhow, basically any kind of restore operation (restore -t, or
> restore -r) results in an immediate "hole in map" response, with a "abort?
> [yn]" prompt, and then about three seconds later, a segmentation fault.

I think you need to read the man pages.

A hole in a map won't happen unless you have bad media.  If you
traceback the panic in the source code, you'll see that the problem
is a zero-valued block map.

More likely, you have broken SCSI termination, a dirty tape drive,
are using cheap video tapes in place of expensive data tapes (and
hoping it works), or a you have broken tape drive/driver that needs
you to pad blocks to tape block boundries because the hardware is
too stupid to read partial blocks.

are you perhaps using an older HP DAT drive, before they added the
lockout to keep you from using tapes not capable of accurately
holding the data?

You can ignore your damaged media using the "-y" option to restore:

	-y      Do not ask the user whether to abort the restore in
		the event of an error.  Always try to skip over the
		bad block(s) and continue.

It is recommended that you, instead, fix the underlying problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.