Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 2009 18:35:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chris H" <chris#@1command.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_8 buildworld broken?

On Wed, December 9, 2009 3:33 pm, Pieter de Goeje wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 December 2009 23:14:13 ocean wrote:
>
>> Pieter de Goeje wrote:
>>
>>> Actually, the way you specified CFLAGS overrides CPUTYPE. AFAIK you
>>> should set CFLAGS/CPUTYPE like this: CPUTYPE?=....
>>> CFLAGS+=...
>>>

>>> Though bothering with CPUTYPE or CFLAGS is actually a waste of time if
>>> you ask me. I've never observed any measurable improvement in the speed of
>>> the system by setting these. Note that most ports which DO benefit from
>>> specialized CFLAGS (mplayer comes to mind) have an option called
>>> WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS.
>>>

>> i specified it with CPUTYPE?=... and wasn't working for buildworld, had to add
>> it in CFLAGS. also doing "make buildworld CPUTYPE=..." didn't work.
> It works for me. Just tried with CPUTYPE?=nocona and CFLAGS+=-O3 which
> resulted in these CFLAGS: -O2 -pipe -O3 -march=nocona when building tcsh for
> example. Not everything build during buildworld honors these settings btw.
>

> My point still stands though, I can't see how any of the base tools would
> benefit from higher optimization levels. The only thing that could possibly
> benefit is the kernel, but the kernel uses COPTFLAGS (and CPUTYPE).
I think OPENSSL is another.
I have always polluted /etc/make.conf for this purpose. As memory serves,
the following was the "advised" method. For example I use:
make.conf:
CPUTYPE?=cray

bulildworld && kernel:
make -DALWAYS_CHECK_MAKE buildworld && kernel

Still works for me ( <=7-RELEASE; 8_RELEASE is building as I write this ).

--Chris H