Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 14:03:41 +0100
From:      njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
To:        Steve Price <steve@FreeBSD.ORG>, uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org, steve@hub.freebsd.org, freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/2191

On May 30,  3:47pm, Steve Price wrote:
> Synopsis: syslogd stops logging after several hours of load - FDIV048
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open-closed
> State-Changed-By: steve
> State-Changed-When: Sat May 30 15:45:29 PDT 1998
> State-Changed-Why:
> PR #5548 seems to be a description of the same problem.
> Anyone with plenty of free time on their hands want to
> look into cleaning up syslogd's signal handling routines?

Steve,

I was hoping to have a shot at re-writing syslog this summer, there are a
number of things I'd like to add to it such as authenticated and encrypted
remote logging, an improved interface to the kernel which would allow
categorisation of which part of the kernel the messages are coming from
(e.g filesystem, *ipfw*, netinet etc) and whatever changes are necessary
for it to be able to run as an unprivledged user.

Regards,

Niall