Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:40:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <cagey@kevin.sunshine.net>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>, FreeBSD-Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: "learn" unix tool

Chris,

>From my records you recieved this, but it did not reach hackers or
questions, so I am resending. Hope you like things in triplicate :-)

[ .. clip ]
On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Chris Coleman wrote:

> Kevin, I have been thinking, and I decided this morning that the 'learn'
> and the 'help' need to be separate. The 'help' command needs to be a one
> page help screen that introduces FreeBSD, the command line, man pages, and
> the learn tool.  Unless you stop me, i will go a head and write a 'help'
> screen and send it to you.  I should have it done this week.
>
> Who else is working on this project?  Let them know what I intend to do.

It's just you and me kid :)

> thanks

I wrote to Joerg and below is the response. In hind sight I should have
posted this to you.

I'll also post this to hackers and questions to see if anyone will
have any leads on this.

[ clip here ]

> 1) 	Do I(we) continue to write script on topic matter that I(we)
>  	feel should be included and submit to you that you write the
> 	interface around?

It would probably be worth the while to first see who's responsible
for the old Berkeley texts.  They are clearly from the UCB, thus
should be redistributable.  What we'd need were: i) a statement of
some official of the UCB that they think this is still valid as it
stands there, and ii) a disclaimer from the current copyright holders
of the Unix sources that they don't claim any rights on it (to make
sure there's nothing inherited from the original UNIX sources in it).
The latter is SCO, and i know that they are known for positive
reactions for things like this.  So the actual problem for both would
probably be to find a mail address of someone responsible.

If you want to do this, feel free to ask in the name of the FreeBSD
Project.

> 4)	How can I(we) make the scripts an easy file for you to deal with?

We should stick to the original way they are done.  Maybe, if you're
successful for point #1 above, we could even get the original unix
learn command source.

--
cheers, J"org

[ /clip here ]

Thanks for the nudge :)
	JEAN CHRETIEN		|  \    kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net     /  |
				|    \	     Kevin G. Eliuk        /    |
     run if I let you :-?	|  /    		             \  |