Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:33:53 +0900
From:      Takanori Watanabe <takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: damn ATX power supplies...

In message <19990916220426.04913@breizh.free.fr>, Nicolas Souchu wrote:
>On Sun, Sep 12, 1999 at 10:51:13PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
>>
>>Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au> wrote:
>>>
>>>On newer motherboards, it's addressable on the SMB bus (along with
>>>the SIMMS, the LM78/LM75/etc, the embedded LM75 in the newer CPU,
>>>etc). Anyway, the newer devices are programmable to do things like
>>>the 4-second power off delay, auto-on with AC, maintain previous
>>>state when AC restored, alarm clock time auto start, as well as the
>>>usual "turn off now" command from the APM bios.

I think 4-second power off delay etc. is not so related with SMBus but power
management controller on PCI.And that should be probed via ACPI BIOS table,not
PCI probe,though I wrote a patch for intpm so that it install
 power off handler.
<URL:http://www.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp/~takawata/smbus/sys/intpmpm.tar.gz>;

>>Is there any software out there that speaks to /dev/smb?
>>intelligently? We have some Dell boxen with loads of SMB stuff in
>>them; it'd be nice to be able to see what's going on there.
>>
>>Alternatively, are there freely-available SMB specs?

I have some piece of program.(Accessing SPD,LM75/LM78)
<URL:http://www.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp/~takawata/smbus/>;
But general problem is that there is no way to probe from hardware.
And on PIIX4, most hardware monitoring chip have ISA interface and accessable
at port 0x295,0x296.

BTW I looked datasheet of i810 chipset
<URL:http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/29065503.pdf>;
and find SMBus functional and Power Management functional is separated.
Though I don't write the driver for it  because I don't have it.

Takanori Watanabe
Public Key</a>
Key fingerprint =  2C 51 E2 78 2C E1 C5 2D  0F F1 20 A3 11 3A 62 2A

P.S. Are there any people to work on audio and telephony device on i810?