Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:28:47 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACLs [Was: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?]

(Moved back to -hackers, it's technicall stuff.)

As Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC wrote:

> Yes, but how do you back them up, or, worse yet, restore them?  How do
> you copy your HTML directory tree to another drive you're bringing
> on-line and preserve all the ACL settings?  As noted before, *none*
> of the system tools support the ACLs.

I think you could make compatible changes to dump and restore to
support ACLs.  Perhaps, drop a second record containing the ACLs right
behind an inode record (or even before, so the restore program knows
about the intended ACLs before actually even seeing the inode
information).  The unknown records should simply be ignored by a
restore that doesn't understand them.

I once thought about extending dump to support gzip'ed files as well,
but never got around to actually do it.  The idea is to invent a new
flag for the gzip'ed stored files, and then store the filename(s) as
`originalname.gz'.  If the archive goes on to a restore that doesn't
understand the extension, it would extract the files with the new .gz
suffix, so not all is lost.  If the archive goes on to a restore that
does understand the extension, it can decompress on the fly, and
restore the original filename(s).  Files that did already have the
suffix .gz simply don't set the flag when being archived, and go to
the tape verbatim.

--
cheers, J"org