Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 1997 01:02:53 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De, andreas@klemm.gtn.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current is currently really a mess (was: Re: Tk/Tcl broken(?))

> One thing to note is that I'm not supervising a group of people hired
> to do ports work from 9 to 5.  It's not like I can yell "Ok guys!  No
> more -stable work!  Go convert your machines to -current!  Now fix the
> bugs!".  The porters have their machines to work on, and they are
> either -stable or -current (and it seems we have a pretty good balance
> now).  So it's actually EASIER to work on both branches, and to make
> sure things don't get entirely out of track wrt -current.

Maybe we should start hiring people. :-)

> Excuse me, but I have been supporting the 2.2.x folks from the very
> beginning, and will continue to do so.  I learned the lesson in the
> 2.1.x fiasco.  We should never have planned to release a new version
> without updating ports and packages.  (We realized that when 2.1.5
> went out, but by then it was too late to resync....)

Sorry for the misinformation then.  I guess I failed to take into
account the fact that even though you don't commit stuff onto that
*branch*, you're still #ifdef'ing things so that they work in both
environments.  Is that a fair summary?

> With the same argument about -current moving faster and faster, it's
> going to be harder and harder to catch the longer we let it run ahead
> of us.

Well, I'm open to suggestions. :-)

				Jordan