Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 18:39:16 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV), phk@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, uhclem.ds3@nemesis.lonestar.org
Subject:   Re: bin/1037

J Wunsch wrote:
> As Frank Durda IV wrote:
>
> > Uh, pity you did that without asking.  This item has not been fixed,
> > despite me providing a one line patch that fixed this and a handfull of
> > other open PRs (at least two not from me) back in March.
>
> >  -----FIX BEGINS-----
> >  *** telnetd.c.00	Sun Jan 12 15:56:33 1997
> >  --- telnetd.c	Wed Feb 26 16:07:15 1997
> >  ***************
> >  *** 179,184 ****
> >  --- 179,187 ----
> >
> >    	progname = *argv;
> >
> >  + 	linemode=1;			/*Default to mode that all brands
> >  + 					  of telnets handle correctly*/
> >  +
> >    #ifdef CRAY
> >    	/*
> >    	 * Get number of pty's before trying to process options,
> >  -----FIX ENDS-----
>
> I don't see why you not just start your telnetd with `-l', instead of
> adding another hack to it.

No, this is different..  -l sets the "alwayslinemode".  The 'linemode'
variable does something else.

> It's arguable whether we should start it with -l by default, since so
> many telnet clients in the world are apparently broken.  But you've
> got the option, so why don't you use it in the first place?

The change to the 'linemode' variable default slightly changes telnetd's
assumptions.  Trying to follow the code is nightmareish, but as best as I
can tell, it (approximately) causes telnetd to not attempt to initiate
linemode unless it hears linemode options from the client first.  ie: it
won't try and *tell* the client to turn it on unless the client is a newer
one (such as ours) that initiates the linemode handshaking.  As I said, I
do not understand the state processing, so I'm not sure.

> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Cheers,
-Peter