Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 1995 13:23:04 -0800
From:      patl@asimov.lashley.slip.netcom.com
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Serial line input

|>  >>>>> "Pat" == patl  <patl@asimov.lashley.slip.netcom.com> writes:
|>
|>      Pat> The symptom is that I can't seem to read anything from the
|>      Pat> serial lines.  I've run a cable to my SPARCstation, and fired
|>      Pat> up a kermit on the other end.  When I cat to /dev/tty01 on
|>      Pat> the BSD box, the data shows up in the kermit.  But when I cat
|>      Pat> from /dev/tty01 and type in the kermit nothing happens.
|>
|>  And you're certain this cable is working?  Try reversing the ends
|>  between the SPARCstation and the FreeBSD box and see if you can get
|>  data out the serial port on the PC end.

No change.  It should be a 25-line straight-through cable.  (I generally
prefer that configuration, with any special wiring (e.g., null modem) in
a short cable or small box at one end.

|>      Pat> Also, I am getting no input from my mouse on /dev/tty00
|>      Pat> (which makes X11 pretty useless...)
|>
|>  What kind of mouse is this?  1200 bps is typical, so you might want to
|>  try setting ttyi00 to 1200 with stty and then see if you get anything
|>  when you move the mouse on tty00.

It's an Inland three-button serial mouse.  Supposed to be MicroSoft and
Mouse Systems compatible.  (There's a small switch on the bottom marked
'MS AM' and 'PC/AT'.)  I suspect that my problem is pretty basic and
generic, since I'm not getting input on either serial line.  (This has
the feel of one of those things that will turn out to be -real- obvious,
once it's been pointed out...)

Is it possible that I'm just not getting the input interrupts?  I've
re-built the kernel; but haven't touched the serial line entries in
the config.  And I haven't changed the BIOS bindings of those two ports
to COM1 and COM2.  (There don't seem to be any explicit interrupt settings
separate from the COMx binding.)  I have commented out the getty lines
for tty0[01] in /etc/ttys.

Here's what Kermit reports on the sun side of the ttyb<->tty01 link:

C-Kermit 5A(188), 23 Nov 92, Solaris 2.0
Communications Parameters:
 Line: /dev/ttyb, speed: 38400, mode: local, modem: hayes
 Terminal bits: 8, parity: none, duplex: full, flow: none, handshake: none
 Carrier: off, lockfile: /var/spool/locks/LK.032.029.001
 Escape character: 28 (^\)

Protocol Parameters:   Send    Receive
 Timeout (used= 7):      7       10        Server Timeout:   0
 Padding:                0        0        Block Check:      3
 Pad Character:          0        0        Delay:            5
 Packet Start:           1        1        Max Retries:     10
 Packet End:            13       13
 Packet Length:       9024     9024
 Maximum Length:      9024     9024        Window Size:      1 set, 0 used
 Buffer Size:         9065     9065        Locking-Shift:    enabled, not used

File parameters:        Attributes:       on
 Names:   literal       Debugging Log:    none
 Type:    binary        Packet Log:       none  Longest filename: 512
 Collide: backup        Session Log:      none  Longest pathname: 1024
 Display: fullscreen    Transaction Log:  none

File Byte Size: 8, Incomplete Files: discard, Init file: .kermrc

Here's the stty on the other end of the link:

patl@phoenix.50> stty -a -f /dev/tty01
speed 38400 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl -echoctl
        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin -nokerninfo
        -extproc
iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff ixany -imaxbel -ignbrk
        -brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd -hupcl clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
        min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = <undef>;
        stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

And the stty for tty00 (mouse) while X11 is running:

speed 1200 baud; 0 rows; 0 columns;
lflags: -icanon -isig -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoke -echonl
        -echoctl -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho -pendin
        -nokerninfo -extproc
iflags: -istrip -icrnl -inlcr -igncr -ixon -ixoff -ixany -imaxbel ignbrk
        -brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk
oflags: -opost -onlcr -oxtabs
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl clocal cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^?; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
        min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = <undef>;
        stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

Thanks,
-Pat