Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:49:59 +200
From:      "Pierre-Andre  van Leeuwen" <pvl@knersus.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        support <support@FreeBSD.ORG>, Martin <martin@MiltenyiBiotec.de>
Subject:   Re: help

> Date:          18 Jun 97 14:43:18 +0200
> From:          Martin <martin@MiltenyiBiotec.de>
> Subject:       help
> To:            support <support@FreeBSD.ORG>

> Hi freeBSD people:
>
> I purchased freeBSD in a bookstore and found it to be great. But I encountered the following problem:
> While trying to install Netscape (for LINUX) the BSD returns with a message that ELF is an unknown binary-format. And while trying to install the german Star-Office package the installation fails du
> How can I install these packages?
> I am looking forward to response.
> Martin

I hope you have 2.2 RELEASE or higher.
Make sure that you have the Linux emulation installed. It is
in the ports/packages. Edit /etc/rc.conf or /etc/sysconfig
(depending on your version) and make sure there is a line saying
linux=yes.  Then reboot. You can also load the linux emulation on
the fly, by typing <linux> at a prompt.

The other way to go is to install the bsd version of netscape, which
is on their site under the name netscape-unknown-bsd.......

Good luck

pierre

PS. I'm not sitting in front of my FreeBSD box at the moment,
so I hope my recollection from memory is accurate :)

P. van Leeuwen
Electronic Engineer
pvl@nanoteq.com
http://www.nanoteq.co.za