Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 09:47:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Today is E-day

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, John Birrell wrote:

> If you haven't already done so, edit /etc/rc and change the _LDC line
> to reference /usr/lib/aout instead of /usr/lib. Once you do that and
> re-run ldconfig (or just reboot), your aout libraries will function
> normally (they are deprecated, though).

I'm a little confused.  I did the upgrade, but I'd had the _LDC pointing
to /usr/lib/aout beforehand, because that's where the new libs were
being put.  The upgrade seemed to stick new aout libs in /usr/lib/aout,
but also put new libs in /usr/lib.  File doesn't tell me if the ones in
/usr/lib are ELF or not, but from the timestamp on those (which is a few
minutes after the timestamp on the /usr/lib/aout ones) I suspect that
they are.  If my system is now ELF, why the advice to add /usr/lib/aout
to my _LDC?  Especially since I had already had /usr/lib/aout replacing
/usr/lib in the _LDC, shouldn't I take the "/aout" off now that I've
upgraded?

Oddly enough, I checked one of my new executeables in /usr/bin, and ldd
tells me that it's linked to libs in /usr/lib, even tho /usr/lib itself
isn't on my _LDC line.  I'm a little confused by this.

> ldconfig will die with aout. ELF does not need hints since it handles
> just a single version number of a library and knowing that can go straight
> to the library name.
>
> /usr/lib is the normal place for system libraries, so the elf versions
> belong there. You don't need to make any links in /usr/lib. In fact you
> should just stick with what the build process puts there.
>
> --
> John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
> CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).