Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:11:16 -0700
From:      safe user <ecsd@ecsd.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xpdf and the wholesale destruction of X-Windows

Let me clarify, then.

I do a "make clean" in xpdf, and it does a clean in X11.6 also.
Did it kill X itself? No. But for whatever reason, suddenly
the following commands failed with "ld.so: can't locate xxxx.so.n.mm"
messages:

xv
identify (ImageMagick)
gimp

basically, anything using a shared library (libjpeg, etc.)

The installation was 3.2-RELEASE, I never asked for a.out style
anything. xpdf complained about not being able to find, I think,
libXpm.so.4.11 and that's when I tried to reinstall xpdf. Doing a
make clean in xpdf broke xv, et. al. with similar "ld.so can't find"
messages. Remember, the ports were installed as packages at the same
time the release was installed. If the packages were a.out, well, throw
me down a hole or something. (e.g. blame the victim, go ahead.)

I made enough space to reinstall X, did so, and the problems went
away.

Proof? Not enough time to generate proof. If it rings anyone's
mental bells what I'm talking about, good. If I'm right the make clean
is unwarrantedly overzealous, then the bell-rung person can maybe
patch that up.

As far as making a comparison to Microsoft, well, that's the best way
to piss people off and make them take notice. May FreeBSD cover the
Earth ... that's why I get irritable if things are gratuitously busted.
(c) ecsd 1999 - The International Standard for Poor Programming
Practice (SUXIX?) is embodied in the methodologies used at Microsoft.
Let's all give Microsoft a hand for establishing such a valuable
benchmark.
Let Microsoft = 1.0, then measure the goodness of your code in relation
to that - e.g. Solaris = 8.0, Linux = 9.0, FreeBSD = 10.0. Satisfied?

-ecsd