Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:40:23 +0300
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

Quoting "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>:

> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > In the shipping param.c file the maxfilesperproc is made equal to
> overall
> > maxfiles, e.g. kern.maxfiles=kern.maxfilesperproc.
> > This creates a possibility of DoS, or I'm missing something?
> > Perhaps it's better to leave some minimal window for other processes?
> > Or even make it fraction of maxfiles?
> >

> Or properly configure login classes so lusers cannot reach maxfiles
Yes, or as proposed sysctl -w (which I've in login scripts)
But, I'm talking about the *default* system behaviour.
Not all sysadms are well experienced, and making a system a little more
foolproof seems a good thing to me.
It may help against some malfunctioning software as well.

> -----
> Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar@fxp.org - jedgar@FreeBSD.org

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]