Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:07:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "ad5gb" <ad5gb@myway.com>
To:        bulliver@badcomputer.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd vs. linux

Did I miss something here? If so, please forgive the intrusion and waste of
bandwidth.  But I don't recall David saying that FreeBSD had a superior
human interface... anywhere.  I tend to agree with David having had to try to
build software on my FBSD systems that came from the 'Linux community' (i.e.
stuff outside of the ports or packages trees) and some of it has a MS-ish
'feel' in that it's our way or the highway.  Much of this stuff seems to have
a definite MS look-and-feel and even to the point of MS-like annoyances.

I agree with you however that Linux is lovable.  Indeed.  I am fortunate enough
to work for a company who uses it in every one of it's 3300+ stores across the
nation.  And it does things that MS can only DREAM of doing.  What really
separates the OS's though is the kernel.  Not userland software.  In my humble
 ( and somewhat limited ) opinion.... the BSD kernel has proven to be far more
robust and reliable than it's Linux counterpart.  I've used FBSD since 2.1.0
and in all but a few occasions, FBSD's TCP/IP and networking performance
exceeded any of the Linux distros performance by margins of as little as 5%,
to as much as 20% in measurable throughput.  ( I used to have a lot of time
on my hands so I could fool with such things)

>From a personal standpoint, what bugs me MOST about the Linux kernel, is the
"thread-is-a-process" notion.  It drives me nuts.  (I'll make an appointment
tomorrow)  The latest 5x FBSD kernels have shown significant progress (and
advantage over Linux) in multi-threading in my limited testing.

Out of the box.... Linux distros might be 'prettier' with more elaborate
'default' menu configurations and such.  But IMH(and limited)O  the kernels
can't compete.

But let your own bit/byte counts be your guide.

Humbly....

--
Randall D. DuCharme (Radio AD5GB)