Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 17:58:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Gifka Sovereign <gif@netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using IIJPPP with SLiRP

On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Gifka Sovereign wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>
> > > [My plea for help and location for textfiles deleted]
> >
> > well...  I lost my config files during a hd crash... and I didn't have a
> > back up...  but for iijppp to work with SLiRP isn't hard... you just need
> > to make sure that you have the dial chat script and the login chat script
> > working... just take a look at /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample and that should
> > help... if you need more specifices... like and example login script I
> > will help...
> >
> > if you have trouble getting the login script to work... do a "show modem"
> > in ppp... and you should see your login line...  this way you can make
> > sure you have the puncuation (i.e. "\") in the right places...  sorry I
> > really can't give you any files... TTYL...
>
>   Thank you John-Mark for your generous offer to help!  Fortunately, I've
> figured out the problem on my own; though admittedly, I'm not connecting
> to SLiRP 0.95e with iijppp (No matter what I tried, iijppp just wouldn't
> negotiate the connection properly).

if this was just doing a term to dial and log in... what you needed to do
was a "~p" to put it into packet mode...  it seems strange... but SLiRP
doesn't send out the initing packets like all other ppps do...  so you
have to tell it that there is ppp on the other end...  I had the same
problem... but if you dial with chat scripts... it automaticly goes into
packet mode after the login script is complete...

>   Rather than fool around for another week with iijppp, I compiled
> another kernel with PPP pseudo-device support and used pppd instead.  It
> worked the first time out, and I promptly cursed myself out for not doing
> this sooner. :)

of course with iijppp you can do auto dial...  i haven't quite gotten it
to work perfectly with SLiRP but it is possible...  TTYL...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)