Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 03:10:07 +0000
From:      Wim Livens <wim@livens.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        wlivens@colt-telecom.be
Subject:   Re: FW: pcm: channel dead in 4.2-RELEASE

> > I have the following error after playing one song, and no sound anymore:
> >
> > pcm1: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
> >
> > This is an out-of box 4.2-RELEASE (just pcm driver added) with a CS423x
> > soundcard which worked fine on 3.3-RELEASE
> >
> > This has been reported often on the lists but afaik not after 4.2 was
> > released.
> > the suggested patch (uncommenting chn_dmaupdate(c);) was already done in
> > 4.2-RELEASE.
> >
> > I commented it again, turned off PnP and all that, no luck.
> >
> > Any idea what I can do ?
>
> That's a CS4235 isn't it?  There were some fixes to the CS driver late
> in the 3.x series that got these cards working that were never
> integrated
> into the newpcm driver.  Unfortunatly the original author of the changes
> doesn't have a 4235 anymore, so if you want your card to work, you're
> going to have to do the work yourself (or get someone else to do it).

I don't mind putting some effort in it, but I have next to no experience with
device drivers, especially soundcards.  So any advice how to start is
welcome.

Isn't it possible to just use the old pcm driver instead ? or the snd driver ?

I looked at the card, it says: Turtle Beach Systems - Tropez Plus - Rev C
with following major chips:
Crystal CS4232-KQ
Yamaha YSS225-F
WaveFront ICS2116Y