Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 11:26:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Spicklemire <steve@spvi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        steve@spvi.com
Subject:   natd performance/fuction OK in 4.0?

Hi Folks,

	I'm having wierd problems with Natd. I set up a 4.0 stable box
here at my place, and another at a client's. (I'd been running 2.2.8
here for over a year.. with great performance so I'm pretty sure the
setup ought to work). Now when I upgrade to 4.0 here I get crummy
general network performance on the hosts that are masked. Actually,
I should be more clear, I get poor performace when they go through
*natd*. Also.. I had the oddest thing happen at the client's. When
I turned on the firewall rules (with a IPDIVERT/IPFIREWALL kernel)
the unmasked interface could ping, but not telnet, to the router.
I've never seen anything like that before. I'd love to get this
sorted out. Is there anything I can do to debug what's going on?
Do you have any suggestions? Things I could look for with
tcpdump? (Almost) Any comments would be helpful...

thanks,
-steve