Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:59:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hdalog@zipnet.net
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail default permissions??

> > login: fred
> > passord:
> > %
> > % ls -l /var/mail/peter
> > % ls: /var/mail/peter: No such file or directory
> > % cat > /var/mail/peter
> >

> That was the end of Terry's message.
>
> Did this totally confuse anyone elses mailer?  I see these two
> messages in elm:
>
> >     1   Apr 10 Bite Me            (13)   Ha ha
> >     2   Apr 10 Terry Lambert      (41)   Re: /var/mail default permissions??
>
> and have this in my in box:
>
> > From dufault Wed Apr 10 07:34:25 1996
> > From: anon@anon (Bite Me)
> > Subject: Ha ha
> >
> > Don't you wish you could do something about your mail...  give
> > Fred $5 and he'll unlock it for you.
> >
> > 					-- Anon
> >
> > ^D
> > % exit
>
> which threw me for a loop a minute.  I don't think this is what
> Terry was showing us.

Hee hee hee.  Your mail rewriting rules are broken.

What an amusing side effect... detecting broken mail rewriting
rules.  A recursive object lesson... I couldn't have planned this
better on purpose.

I was showing how "Fred" could lock Peter's mailbox if Peter didn't
have any pending mail and the mail dir were 1777 as Peter was
suggesting.  Fred would own the mail file "peter" and Peter
couldn't delete it.  Fred could (and was offering to do so for $5)...

Obviously, your mailer should have put ">" in front of the naked
"From" in the sample "Fred locked Peter's mailbox" message, and
didn't.  8-).

Are you, by any chance, using the Elm "filter" program and appending
directly to a mailbox instead of processing through a sed script to
rewrite all froms after the first "From" into ">From"?

This would result in what you saw (though I think the date on the
lock message should be April 1st, so I can tell even more about
how you are forwarding mail through an intermediate account 8-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.