Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 14:07:51 -0500
From:      Jacques Vidrine <n@nectar.com>
To:        Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merging current's jail functionality to stable

On 9 October 1999 at 12:48, Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com> wrote:
> Is suser needed to properly support jail?  Without suser being
> updated, will we have a hole in the implementation?

No, see src/sys/kern_prot.c in -CURRENT for details.  Anything that
uses suser (rather than suser_xxx) does NOT grant superuser
priviledges to jail'd processes, even where those process have
uid == 0.

The only way to grant jail'd process superuser priviledges is by calling
suser_xxx instead of suser, and passing an explicit flag.  That's done
in about 28 places in the source tree.

Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / nectar@FreeBSD.org